WELCOME TO THE 8th FORM!
The school year has begun. Welcome to the 8th form! We hope you have not forgotten your English. Now tell your classmates about your summer holidays. Here are some questions that will help you:
1. Where were you this summer? (at a pioneer camp, in the country, on a collective farm...)
2. Had you any good friends there?
3. Did you stay in a beautiful place?
4. Was your house large or small?
5. Was there a garden round your house?
6. Did you work in the garden?
7. Was there a river or a lake near your house?
8. Did you learn to swim?
9. Can you swim well now?
10. Did you walk in the fields and in the forest?
11. Do you like to walk in the forest?
12. Did you go to any collective farms and help the farmers with their work?
13. Did you read any interesting books?
В английском языке слово country имеет два значения:
1. The U.S.S.R. is a country. England is a country.
2. The house is in the country; it is not in town.
Translate into Russian (Переведите на русский язык):
1. What country are you from?
2. My grandfather has a nice little house in the country.
3. We shall go to the country this summer.
4. Our country is one of the largest countries in the world.
Lady: Are these eggs good? Shopkeeper: Oh, yes, they are just from the country. Lady: Yes, but what country?
a lady — дама a 'shopkeeper — лавочник
I. Read the following sentences and translate the words given in italics (Прочитайте следующие предложения и переведите выделенные слова).
1. When new pupils come to our school we say, “Welcome to our school!”
2. I am in the 8th “B” form. Jane and Alec are in the same form too. They are my classmates.
3. What’s a joke? — It’s something we say that makes people laugh.
4. When I like a book very much I say, “This is a wonderful book!” When I see a beautiful picture I say, “The picture is wonderful!” When we think of what Gagarin, Titov and other cosmonauts1 did we say, “Oh, that’s wonderful\n
5. We have many teachers, but only one of them is our form mistress. Nina Petrovna is our English teacher and she is our form mistress, too. She stays with us after school at our meetings; she helps us with our work.
II. You know five tenses. Write out from the texts on pages 3—5 five sentences illustrating the use of these tenses (Вы знаете пять грамматических времён. Выпишите из текстов на стр. 3—5 пять предложений с этими временами).
III. Answer the questions, using (употребляя) the new words from the texts.
Example (Пример): What do you think about Nina and Ann?
I think they will make friends.
1. Why is Nina Petrovna always at your class meetings?
2. Why are the children laughing? What did Mike tell them?
3. What do we say to the new pupils who come to our school?
4. Where do many children go (to) in summer?
5. What do we say when we like a film very much?
6. Who does Nick often play chess with?
IV. Translate into English:
1. Летом мы были в пионерлагере.
2. Мы ходили в колхоз и работали там.
3. Мы подружились с ребятами из колхоза.
4. Мы играли с ними в футбол и волейбол.
5. Возле нашего пионерлагеря было большое озеро.
6. Ты научился плавать? —Да.—Вот чудесно.
V. Tell about your summer holidays. The questions on page 3 will help you.